Friday, May 27, 2011

Diaper Decision

With our little dude expected to make his appearance into the world in the next 6 weeks or so, we thought we would go ahead and start our stash of cloth diapers. Wait - I haven't told you that we're going to try cloth diapering?? :) Probably because I've been a little nervous about it... but we're gonna try it and I will let you know first hand how it works or doesn't work for our family.

Now, a LOT has changed with cloth in the last 10 years or so! It's not your grandma's cloth diapering with pins and plastic pants, and (at least for us) it doesn't look like this:

Modern cloth diapering looks very similar to disposables, but WAY cuter! I've done tons of research and we've decided that it will be a great way for our family to save money and reduce the amount of garbage we put on the curb each week... My friend Jananna does a better job of explaining it all. 

We're planning to use disposables at first because the cloth ones may be a little too big in the beginning, and we will have disposables on hand for grandmas' houses and church, etc. (so please don't freak out, grandmas!).

There was a buy 5 get 1 free deal at Kelly's Closet, so I decided to go ahead and make my first purchase. We got 6 of the BumGenius 4.0 all in one diapers; 4 are the snaps kind and 2 are the velcro kind (supposedly preferred by dads). And they come is these super cute colors: Twilight (light blue), Moonbeam (dark blue), Grasshopper (light green), Ribbit (dark green), Clementine (orange), & Butternut (yellow).
aren't they so cute?!


So, do you think I'm crazy? I probably am, but after the initial investment in cloth, we should break even (with what we would be spending on disposables) after 4 months, saving around $70 or so each month after that until baby boy is potty trained!

And who likes saving money? This girl.

5 comments:

  1. No no-not crazy at all! My mom used cloth diapers on all of us! she did the same thing-had a few disposables for when we were potty training or if we were going to a friend's house to be watched when she was in school but she LOVED the cloth diapers and I know since our budget was SO tight that she ended up saving big!

    Way to go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love, love, LOVE this! Cloth diapers have to be so much more comfortable, too. How cute are those things?? I had not idea they made them that adorable now. If I were having a child, I would be doing this, too. Great decision!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was so excited to see this post! You will love having Baby Boy in cloth! We started out with just 6 diapers from a baby shower and now we have over 20. It's pathetic but I just can't get enough!

    The BumGenius are a great buy. I love all of mine! You should sign up for GreenBabyBargains.com. They have sales on different diapers all the time. They are having a FuzziBunz sale right now.

    You will love it and end up saving so much money, even with the initial investment. Oh, and you can use them for more than one baby... because I'm sure you're already thinking about that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so anxious to hear about the cloth diapering. I debated doing it with both boys and just didn't ever do it. When #3 comes along, I may just have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We cloth diapered for a little while but I couldn't ever find a groove with it. I couldn't find one that fit well, didn't leak, wasn't HUMONGOUS, and couldn't ever get to the point where I wasn't doing a small load of diaper laundry every day (used lots of water & energy). My favorite one was the BG with velcro, they were the quickest when your little boy is wiggling and trying to turn over one you :) I look forward to hearing about your experience, I'm still open for baby two. I really hope you do better than I did! Your nursery makes me smile too! It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Even if it's just to say "You so silly, Sarah" - please feel free to leave comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails