Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Beef Stroganoff - Improvised

Now that I have fully satisfied your hunger for football, I wanted to share with you what we had for dinner last night.

Let me just start by saying I rarely use cookbooks. It's just so simple to search for something on the internet, that I typically get my recipes online. Last night was no exception. I knew we had beef that we needed to use, but I didn't know what to make. I also REALLY didn't want to stop at the store.

I don't know about you but when I search for a recipe, I always go ahead and throw "easy" in front of whatever I'm searching for. Because, well... the alternative is hard. And I don't do hard.

So I searched for "Easy Beef Stroganoff" and find this recipe from allrecipes.com. Okay, I can work with this - beef, noodles, sour cream, beef broth, flour... I got this stuff. Now, granted, I didn't have egg noodles (which would have made this dish better, in my opinion), and I didn't have beef broth readily available. However, I always keep a little jar of beef boullion and chicken bouillon so all I had to do was boil 1 cup of water and add a beef bull. cube.

My modified and improvised version is below:
Ingredients
1/2 box noodles, cooked and drained {I used rotini b/c I had it, but egg noodles would have been YUMMY}
2 tablespoons butter
spoonful of minced garlic {blue lid, got it at WM in the veggie section}
1 pound lean ground beef
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup beef broth {1c water and 1 beef boullion cube}
1/2 cup sour cream
"dash" of worcestershire sauce
"splash" of milk to make more sauce {if necessary}

Directions
*Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook noodles in boiling water until done, about 8 minutes. Drain.
*In a large skillet, melt 1 tablespoon of butter over medium heat, add garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes.
*Using the same pan, melt remaining butter. Cook ground beef in melted butter until browned.
*Mix in flour. Stir in beef broth, and cook until slightly thickened. Stir in sour cream. Add dash of worcestershire for additional flavor.
*Continue cooking until sauce is hot, but not boiling. {If necessary, add splash of milk to make more sauce, or if you're reheating it later.} Serve sauce over noodles.

Dude, this was reallllllly yummy. Lots of flavor! We just served it with green beans {which I also add a cube of beef boullion to to give them more flavor} but I should have made mashed potatoes to go with it too. Mmmmm... mashed potatoes. Anyway, we will definitely have this again!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Even if it's just to say "You so silly, Sarah" - please feel free to leave comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails